One of the most difficult traits of a Christ follower, in my opinion is, forgiveness. Have you ever thought you forgave someone and then, bam!! those feelings of anger or betrayal come right back to the surface out of no where? I have, forgiveness was such a learning experience for me, a long and uncomfortable one. Priding myself on my strength and ability to overcome, for so long, I was only kidding myself. A recent definition of forgiveness I read was to no longer blame or be angry with someone who has done you wrong. To no longer? Like, ever? Only strong Christians can do this, right? No, wrong God has equipped us with the power of forgiveness, we just have to want to do it. That's right, it's a choice. I've talked to so many people who are still angry over what happened to them in their childhoods or past relationships or marriages. Listen, I get it, it's not so easy to forgive, much less forget. Matt 6:14-15 clearly states forgive men their trespasses, so your heavenly Father may forgive you. I remember memorizing that prayer as a child, but never understanding what that really meant. Again in Matt 18:21-22 Peter asks how many times should he forgive and Jesus tells him seventy times seven. Here's the thing, if we cannot forgive, we are angry and carrying around feelings that will harm our walk with Christ. For me it's a constant choice, it may be somewhat easier as I mature in Christ, but it's still a choice. It also doesn't mean that we should be door mats to others. I am a firm believer in setting healthy boundaries with others and you teach people how to treat you. But, I also know that unforgiveness harbors the inability to have growth. When we have been hurt, it's hard to trust or even love sometimes, but God is very clear that we can do ALL things through Him! Psalms 34:18-19 The Lord is close to those who are brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in Spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all. If you truly gives those feelings of anger and resentment to God, He will take care of them. This is again, where obedience comes in. If you are obedient in the Word and pray for those people, and pray that you may forgive them God will enable you to do so. I encourage you today, forgive someone. It's a process, it won't mean that your feelings will change overnight, but if you seek Him and His counsel, they can ONLY change. It says in the Word that we are suppose to love each other and be compassionate. That is forgiving and having grace and mercy for each other. Thank God for His forgiveness, we have all sinned against Him and betrayed Him in some way, right? Then, shouldn't we do the same for each other? Or, at least try? Let's make that choice today and thank God for equipping us with the ability to do so. Empower yourself today through forgiveness......
As this new year is well under way, as most, there is so much to reflect on. We welcomed our second child into this world, which was amazing. My husband left his stable, well paying job to do what he loves. Ups and downs of many different sizes. I have been reminded recently that there is a season for everything and everyone. I hear other mothers constantly comparing themselves to other women and killing themselves to keep up with the notion that they must do EVERYTHING. It breaks my heart honestly that we as women live with the unrealistic expectation that we must do more, achieve more, and become more than we are. We all have different seasons. There have been seasons for me where I was doing so much and able to do those things, but then a season of focus will come and I just cannot do too much. I love all of these seasons and I truly believe that accepting your season promotes peace and growth. Ecclesiates 3:1-9 explains there is a season for everything. I also believe that tru...
Comments
Post a Comment